These chewy M&M Brownies are easy to whip up, and are perfectly rich and chocolatey. With colorful candies and chocolate chips, they will bring a smile to everyone who bites into them!
HOMEMADE BROWNIES TO CELEBRATE!
If you want a brownie to scream “celebration,” all you have to do is add some colorful M&M candies. Not only are they tasty, their colorful candy coating just makes people happy.
You can switch out the colors of M&M’s for any holiday or occasion, and they are a hit at any party! I love using red & green M&M’s for Christmas, and green mint M&M’s for St. Patrick’s day.
But there are so many colors of M&M’s out there, you can use them for anything from bridal showers to children’s birthday parties.
What is in a M&M brownie?
- butter – Melted butter makes the brownies nice and chewy. I use salted butter in all of my baking.
- cocoa powder – I use 2/3 cup of regular Hershey’s cocoa powder, but you can use more if you like a deeper chocolate flavor.
- granulated sugar – You can also use half brown sugar for extra chewy brownies, but I love the ease of regular white sugar.
- eggs – I use large eggs. You will have a more smooth batter if your eggs are at room temperature.
- vanilla extract – Some people swear by real vanilla extract, but I find that for brownies, most people can’t tell the difference, so I sometimes use imitation.
- all purpose flour – If you don’t bake often, whisk or sift your flour before using, so it isn’t packed down.
- salt – A bit of salt brings out the flavor of the chocolate.
- chocolate chips – You can use milk chocolate chips, but I think semi sweet balances out the sweetness of the M&M’s. Plus they are more gooey, and that’s a bonus!
- M&M’s – If I can find them, I like to use the mini M&M’s. They distribute more evenly in the brownies. If I end up having to use the regular ones, I add 1/4-1/3 cup of extra M&M’s. Make sure you reserve some to sprinkle on top of the brownies.
HOW TO MAKE BROWNIES WITH M&M’S
- PREP – Spray a 9×13″ baking pan with non stick cooking spray; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- WET INGREDIENTS – In a large glass mixing bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in cocoa powder, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. (If you don’t have a large glass bowl, just melt the butter in a separate bowl and combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.)
- DRY INGREDIENTS – Stir in the flour and salt, then fold in the chocolate chips and just 1 1/4 cups of the M&Ms.
- BAKE – Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining M&M’s over the top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean, or with moist crumbs on it, not batter.)
Brownies are always amazing served warm, but they are a little bit hard to cut before they are cooled completely. If you don’t care that they look like a hot mess, then dig right in!
For nice clean slices, wait until they have completely cooled. It can take up to an hour or more. I actually find that a plastic knife does a pretty good job of slicing brownies!
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER M&M BROWNIES
If you cover the pan tightly, you can store the brownies for 4-5 days at room temperature. If you want them to last even longer, wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They will last up to a week.
They also freeze well. For best results, wrap them individually and then place them in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. They will last for 5-6 months in the freezer. Let them thaw at room temperature before unwrapping and serving.
I have found that after being wrapped, frozen, and thawed, the brownies become even more fudgy!
- I used mini M&M’s for my brownies, but you can use any kind! Switch things up and try peanut butter M&M’s, mini M&M’s, or any of your favorite flavors!
- These brownies are also good with chopped pecans or walnuts.
- For extra ooey gooey brownies, you can double the amount of semi sweet chocolate chips.
- On the flip side, you can skip the chocolate chips and just add additional M&M’s.
MORE M&M DESSERTS:
DECADENT BROWNIE RECIPES:
M&M BROWNIES RECIPE
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- 2/3 cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups mini M&M's, divided
- Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large glass mixing bowl. Whisk in cocoa powder, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt and stir just until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and 1 1/4 cups of the M&M's.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of M&M's over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
If you can't find mini M&M's, you can use any variety. Just keep in mind that the larger the M&M's, the more you need to add so that every bite has a candy in it!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g