My family isn’t typically fond of chili, but they loved this Pumpkin Chili! The pumpkin puree adds a wonderful depth of flavor, and balances out the acidity from the tomatoes. A wonderfully savory chili recipe that is perfect for cool weather.
If all you’ve ever made with pumpkin is pumpkin bread or pie, don’t be scared to branch out! Pumpkin goes perfectly with savory recipes just as well, and this chili is proof of that.
A FAVORITE FALL CHILI RECIPE
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing more comforting than a steaming hot bowl of soup or chili. We have it at least twice a week during the fall and winter months. I love that it can be made all in one pot, and leftovers are always amazing!
I’ve tried several traditional chili recipes over the years, but I’ve never found one that everyone in the family gave rave reviews. So I usually just stick with my taco soup recipe.
I was intrigued when I saw this recipe for chili with pumpkin, so I gave it a try. Honestly, I was a little skeptical, and I didn’t think my kids would like it at all.
Boy was I wrong. It is our new favorite chili recipe! Somehow the pumpkin makes it taste extra savory and gives the chili an almost creamy texture. We loved the flavor, and it’s a bonus that the pumpkin adds extra nutrition!
With two kinds of meat and plenty of vegetables and beans, this pumpkin black bean chili is so hearty and filling. We thought it had the perfect amount of spice, but you can adjust the heat to your liking.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CHILI:
- ground beef (I like to use extra lean ground beef.)
- pork sausage (I buy it in bulk at Costco, then slice it into smaller portions and freeze it.(I buy it in bulk at Costco, then slice it into smaller portions and freeze it. It adds amazing flavor to this chili!)
- green bell pepper
- garlic (Fresh is best, but I have also used dried minced garlic.)
- canned diced tomatoes (We prefer petite diced tomatoes.)
- tomato sauce
- beef broth (I make my own beef broth using beef bouillon + water.)
- taco seasoning (I buy McCormick taco seasoning in bulk at Costco.)
- ground cumin
- canned pumpkin puree (or homemade if that’s what you have)
- canned kidney beans (We like half kidney and half black beans, but feel free to use all of one or the other.)
- canned black beans
Don’t be put off by the long ingredient list, this chili really is super simple!
- PREP WORK: Chop the onion, green pepper, and celery; set aside.
- BROWNING: Cook the ground beef and sausage in a large pot over medium high heat till browned. Drain off any fat. Add the chopped veggies and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- DUMP: Add all the remaining ingredients.
- HEAT: Bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer till veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.
- GARNISH: Serve soup hot with garnishes of your choice. We like tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER PUMPKIN CHILI
Store any leftover chili in the refrigerator, it will last for 3-4 days. Leftover chili tastes fantastic the next day, the flavors are even more blended together.
If you need to store the chili longer, it actually freezes really well. Just make sure it is cold before putting it in the freezer. I like to chill it, then scoop it into heavy duty ziplock bags to freeze. It will last for 3-4 months in the freezer.
- In place of the ground beef and sausage, you can use ground turkey or chicken. Or if you prefer, you can omit the meat, use vegetable broth and have vegetarian pumpkin chili.
- We like our chili extra thick and hearty, but if you prefer a more soup like chili, you can add extra beef broth or even add some tomato juice.
- For extra spicy chili, stir in some red pepper flakes or add chopped jalapeno peppers with the green pepper.
- We like a combination of black and kidney beans, but you can use any beans your family prefers.
- To cook in a slow cooker, cook the meat and veggies as instructed, then add all the ingredients to your crock pot. Heat on LOW for 6-8 hours.
As I mentioned above, we are big soup fans at my house. My kids especially like it if I serve it with homemade bread of some type. Can you blame them?
In case you love having a side of bread with your soup or chili, I’m including some of our favorites below. All of them are simple, and they are the perfect accompaniment not only to this chili, but just about any main dish!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHILI:
- Cornbread (This version is on the sweet side, we like the contrast with the savory chili.)
- Artisan Bread (easy, no-knead)
- Soft Pretzels (perfect for dipping)
- Homemade Naan (You don’t even need to heat up the oven for this one!)
GIVE THESE TASTY SOUP RECIPES A TRY:
- Mexican Chicken Corn Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Chili
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Bacon Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ham Broccoli Soup
- Loaded Nacho Soup
MEATY PUMPKIN CHILI RECIPE
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- Brown ground beef and sausage over medium high heat in a large soup pot. Drain off any grease.
- Add chopped onions and green peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or till vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot with garnishes such as sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, and tortilla chips.
If chili gets too thick, you can add additional beef broth or water.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1143mgCarbohydrates: 31gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 31g