Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream . . . this rich and creamy chocolate ice cream is packed with toasted almonds and marshmallows. An unbeatable ice cream recipe!
Rocky road ice cream has always been one of my favorites. The toasted almonds are my favorite part, and some store bought varieties don’t have many of them. This recipe has plenty of toasted almonds, so I love it!
This happens to be one of my all-time favorite ice cream recipes. It is custard based, and it also has a box of pudding in it, so it is extra creamy! It’s not as quick as some of my other ice cream recipes, but trust me, it is worth the extra time!
We think it has a perfect chocolate flavor, but you can add more cocoa if you like darker chocolate. I of course love it with lots of almonds, but you can use less if you prefer. Just make sure you toast them!! That is an absolute must for great flavor.
Every bite of this ice cream is creamy, crunchy, and perfectly chocolatey. If you like rocky road candy, you will love it!
This recipe makes a large batch, so you can serve it to a crowd, or just save the leftovers to enjoy later. I have to freeze three batches in my Cuisinart, so an extra freezer bowl comes in really handy.
How to make Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream
- cocoa powder
- evaporated milk
- heavy cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- vanilla extract
- instant chocolate pudding mix
- mini marshmallows
- roasted almonds
- In a large pan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add the eggs and evaporated milk and whisk till smooth. Heat over medium heat till thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- As soon as the chocolate mixture barely starts to boil, remove from the heat and place in a sink filled with ice water. Keep the top of the pan above the ice bath, and keep stirring till mixture is chilled.
- Add cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, pudding mix, and milk and mix till smooth. If the mixture appears to have any lumps, you can strain it in a fine meshed strainer.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in almonds and marshmallows. Pour into an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 hours.
Why do they call it Rocky Road ice cream?
Legend has it that when Dreyer’s invented the ice cream in 1929, they wanted a name that everyone could relate to. Times were tough with the Great Depression, and they wanted to give people something to smile about.
What kind of nuts are in Rocky Road?
The original candy had walnuts, but now the ice cream most often contains almonds.
Are you a fan of homemade ice cream? Here are a few more unbeatable recipes:
Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream Recipe
To see all my ice cream recipes, CLICK HERE.