Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream . . . this rich and creamy chocolate ice cream is packed with toasted almonds and marshmallows. An unbeatable ice cream recipe!
Rocky road ice cream has always been one of my favorites. The toasted almonds are my favorite part, and some store bought varieties don’t have many of them. This recipe has plenty of toasted almonds, so I love it!
This happens to be one of my all-time favorite ice cream recipes. It is custard based, and it also has a box of pudding in it, so it is extra creamy! It’s not as quick as some of my other ice cream recipes, but trust me, it is worth the extra time!
We think it has a perfect chocolate flavor, but you can add more cocoa if you like darker chocolate. I of course love it with lots of almonds, but you can use less if you prefer. Just make sure you toast them!! That is an absolute must for great flavor.
Every bite of this ice cream is creamy, crunchy, and perfectly chocolatey. You will love it!
This recipe makes a large batch, so you can serve it to a crowd, or just save the leftovers to enjoy later. I have to freeze three batches in my Cuisinart, so an extra freezer bowl comes in really handy.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 5 eggs, beaten well
- 2 12oz cans evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3oz box chocolate pudding
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups toasted chopped almonds
- In a large pan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add the eggs and evaporated milk and whisk till smooth. Heat over medium heat till thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- As soon as mixture barely starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat and place in a sink filled with ice water. Stir till chilled.
- Add cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, pudding mix, and milk and mix till smooth. If the mixture appears to have any lumps, you can strain it in a fine meshed strainer.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in almonds and marshmallows. Pour into an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 hours.
Are you a fan of homemade ice cream? Here are a few more unbeatable recipes: