Sausage Gravy with Biscuits- A rich and hearty breakfast that will satisfy even the biggest appetites. Comfort food at its finest!
This may come as a shock to some of you, but up until last month, I had never tasted biscuits and gravy. Ever. I worked at Hardee’s when I was a teenager, and sausage gravy and biscuits was one of the most popular breakfast menu items.
But I never tried it. And my mom never made it. So I made it halfway through my adult life without ever eating biscuits and gravy. I know, it’s scandalous.
Then a couple weeks ago, my 16 year old son, who happens to be one of the biggest sausage fans on the planet, asked “Mom, how come you’ve never made biscuits and gravy?” I had no answer for him. So I decided that it was high time I added biscuits and gravy to my recipe collection.
I of course turned to Pinterest and found several recipes that looked promising. I combined a few of them, and not only tasted, but made sausage gravy for the very first time. What. the. heck. was. I. waiting. for?
I feel like I have been missing out on one of the most delicious breakfast dishes of all time. It was SO good! Definitely not something you should eat every day (unless having a heart attack is in your plans), but such a treat for special occasions. I have a feeling my boys are going to be requesting biscuits and gravy on a regular basis.
SAUSAGE GRAVY RECIPE
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 3 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chicken base (or chicken bouillon)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet until it is no longer pink. Add flour, and stir till all the sausage is coated, and the grease is absorbed.
- Gradually stir in milk, then salt, pepper, and chicken base. Keep cooking and stirring over medium heat till mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking and stirring for a least a minuted, until gravy is thickened. I like mine quite thick, so I cooked for a few minutes longer.
- Serve hot over buttermilk biscuits or your favorite biscuit recipe.
Recipe inspired by Chef in Training.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information does not include biscuits.