Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a must try recipe if you have extra zucchini! It’s moist and chocolatey, and the sour cream coconut frosting is out of this world!
I’ve had chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate frosting, but I think I loved this Coconut Chocolate Zucchini cake even more!
It is a dense and moist cake with a tender crumb. The frosting is yummy, but the toasted coconut takes it over the top!
Everyone in my family loved this cake. The first night I served it on it’s own, and it was quickly devoured. The next day we had it with vanilla ice cream, and that was a perfect addition if you want to be extra naughty.
If you love chocolate and coconut together, you must try this cake! It will be a new staple at our house during zucchini season!
How to make coconut chocolate zucchini cake:
Cream butter, coconut oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Stir in the shredded zucchini, coconut, and chocolate chips. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then stir into the wet ingredients.
Pour batter into a greased 9×13″ cake pan and bake at 350° for about 40 minutes. Cool completely.
To make frosting, beat butter, sour cream, coconut extract, salt, and enough powdered sugar to get a creamy consistency. Spread on cooled cake. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.
How to toast coconut:
Place shredded coconut in a single layer in a pie dish or 9×13″ pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, till coconut is golden brown. You can also brown it by stirring it over medium heat in a non-stick skillet, but I prefer the oven method.
Other tasty ways to use up extra zucchini:
Coconut Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp coconut flavoring
- dash of salt
- 2 1/2- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- Beat butter, coconut oil, and sugar in a large mixing bowl till creamy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Stir in the zucchini, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together, then fold into the wet ingredients. Pour into a greased 9″x 13″ cake pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely and frost, then top with toasted coconut.
- For frosting: Beat together butter, sour cream, coconut flavoring, salt, and enough powdered sugar to make a spreadable consistency. Spread over cooled cake and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 2gSugar: 60gProtein: 4g