This creamy chicken and gnocchi is made all in one pan, and is such a comforting dish. You can’t go wrong with chunks of chicken and tender gnocchi smothered in creamy garlic sauce.
A bit of parmesan cheese on top adds great flavor, and spinach adds color and nutrition. A couple of minutes under the broiler gives the dish a nice crunch that balances out the cream sauce.
RESTAURANT QUALITY GNOCCHI DISH
Even though this gnocchi is quickly made in the comfort of your own kitchen, your family will feel like they are dining at a fine Italian restaurant!
This dish is also perfect for serving company. No one has to no that you didn’t spend hours over the stove. Everyone will love this cravable pasta dish!
Gnocchi are a type of Italian pasta made with mashed potatoes, flour, and eggs. They usually have an oblong shape, but are sometimes more round. Traditionally they have ridges on the side, which makes it easier for them to hold onto sauce.
With a texture similar to dumplings, they are a delicious, soft pasta that makes a great base for just about any Italian sauce. They can also be used in soup, or served plain with butter.
You can use shelf stable gnocchi (found on the pasta aisle at the grocery store), or refrigerated or frozen gnocchi. And if you’re really feeling ambitious, you can make homemade gnocchi.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN GNOCCHI
- PREP – Dice the onion. Chop or shred the cooked chicken. (I used a rotisserie chicken.)
- SAUTE – In a large, deep oven safe skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- THICKEN – Add the minced garlic, then flour. Stir until flour is absorbed.
- SAUCE – Whisk in the milk, water, and chicken bouillon. Continue cooking and whisking until the mixture comes to a boil.
- HEAT – Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, chicken, spinach, and gnocchi. Cook and stir until heated through. The spinach should be wilted and the gnocchi should be tender.
- TOPPING – Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown. Watch closely, you don’t want it to burn!
How to store leftovers?
You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I like to transfer them to an airtight container, but if you have a lot left, you can store it in the pan with a lid.
To reheat, transfer individual servings to a plate and heat in the microwave for a minute or two. You can also heat it in the skillet over low heat if you don’t mind stirring the topping into the rest of the dish.
You may need to add a splash of milk or water to thin out the sauce when you reheat.
CHICKEN AND GNOCCHI VARIATIONS:
- Instead of using spinach, you can substitute some chopped kale. Just keep in mind that it will take longer to soften.
- You can stir in any seasonings you like. Italian seasoning, basil, and thyme are tasty.
- If your family likes mushrooms, stir in a cup or two of sliced mushrooms with the chicken.
- Sun dried tomatoes are a tasty addition. You can even use the oil from the jar in place of the butter to saute the onions.
- Bacon is one ingredient that my family is always on board with. Try sprinkling in some crispy bacon bits. Yum!
What to serve with gnocchi?
This dish makes a pretty complete meal all on it’s own, but you can of course pair it with any sides.
And of course you can cook up some fresh or frozen vegetables like peas, green beans, or broccoli.
MORE QUICK CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Fajita Quesadilla
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- Paprika Chicken Recipe
CHICKEN GNOCCHI RECIPE
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, (I used 2%.)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp low sodium chicken bouillon (I use better than bouillon)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (1 pound)
- 1.5 oz baby spinach (2 cups)
- 17.5 oz potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large, deep, oven safe skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 4 minutes, or until onions start to soften.
- Whisk in the garlic and flour, stirring until the onions are evenly coated.
- Whisk in the milk, hot water, and bouillon. Continue whisking over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, chicken, spinach, and gnocchi. Cook and stir until heated through. Gnocchi should be tender and spinach should be wilted.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top. Broil for 2-3 minutes in the oven, or until the cheese starts to brown.
-If you don't want a crispy cheese topping, you can add a lid to the pan instead, and simmer until the parmesan cheese melts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 11.3gSaturated Fat: 6.2gTrans Fat: 0.3gUnsaturated Fat: 4.8gCholesterol: 21.5mgSodium: 1435mgCarbohydrates: 33.2gFiber: 2gSugar: 6.4gProtein: 26.6g
This creamy chicken gnocchi is the stuff dreams are made of! You can’t beat comfort food that’s ready in under 30 minutes and only dirties one pan. Enjoy!