This pesto chicken recipe is incredibly easy to make, but has amazing flavor! It’s ready in about 30 minutes, so it’s a perfect dinner recipe for busy nights.
With store bought pesto and tomatoes, but with fresh pesto and garden fresh tomatoes, it is absolutely out of this world!
And on top of being simple, tasty, and easy, this dish also happens to be low carb. 🙂
BAKED PESTO CHICKEN BREAST
I never tried pesto as a child, but as an adult, I have come to LOVE it! My neighbor generously gave me a bunch of fresh basil from her garden, so I whipped up some pesto and commenced looking for ways to use it.
You can of course use store bought pesto and this low carb chicken will still taste amazing.
I found a recipe for basil pesto chicken roll ups in an old cookbook, but it looked a little challenging. Pounding, filling, and rolling up chicken takes a while!
So I simplified it and just added the ingredients to the top of the chicken breast. Less work, all the same flavor!
HOW TO MAKE PESTO CHICKEN
- PREP CHICKEN – Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- SEAR – Brown both sides of the chicken in olive oil over medium high heat. (About 3 minutes per side.)
- ARRANGE – Place chicken in a baking dish sprayed with non stick spray. Spread pesto evenly over each piece. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- BAKE – Bake at 425° until cheese is bubby and browned on top, and chicken is 165°.
- GARNISH – Add chopped fresh tomatoes to each serving, and garnish with fresh basil if desired.
PESTO CHICKEN BREAST VARIATIONS:
- Browning the chicken adds great flavor, but if you are really in a hurry, you can just skip that step. Your chicken will need to bake for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165°.
- For a more sharp flavor, add some shredded parmesan cheese along with the mozzarella.
- I used cherry tomatoes, but you can use roma tomatoes instead.
- Instead of garnishing with tomatoes after baking, you can arrange sliced tomatoes on top of the pesto before baking.
- Like things saucy? Spread a cup or two of marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan before adding the chicken, and serve the dish over pasta.
- For an extra punch of veggies, add a layer of fresh spinach on top of the pesto.
- We like our cheese to brown on the top, but if you prefer just ooey gooey cheese, cover your pan with foil before placing it in the oven.
What to serve with pesto mozzarella chicken?
- You will end up with lots of tasty juices at the bottom of the pan, so you could serve the chicken over cooked pasta, rice, roasted cauliflower, or zoodles.
- I like to serve it with a fresh green salad, topped with my homemade ranch dressing of course!
- It is also tasty served with carrots and zucchini or parmesan roasted asparagus.
- And if I’m really in a hurry, I just serve it with steamed broccoli or frozen vegetables.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE READER FAVORITE CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Chicken and Potatoes
- Mayonnaise Chicken
- Chicken Ala King
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Broccoli Crepes
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole
PESTO MOZZARELLA CHICKEN
- 2 12 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Brown chicken on both sides. You don't need to cook it completely through.
- Place in a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spread pesto over each chicken breast, then sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and browned, and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes and fresh basil if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 644Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 1036mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 3.5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 69g