Love the flavors of lasagna but don’t have time to make it? This easy Lasagna Soup is ready in about 30 minutes, made in one pot, and tastes amazing!
The bold flavors of this rich and hearty soup are balanced out by the tangy, cheesy topping that just melts right into the hot soup. A perfect winter meal!
ONE POT LASAGNA SOUP
You will find dozens of recipes for lasagna soup out there, but most of the ones I’ve come across call for cooking the noodles in a separate pot. I tweaked a couple of them and came up with a version that only uses one pot.
There are two reasons I like cooking the noodles in the soup pot. First up, it means I don’t have to wash another pan. Who likes washing dishes?
The second reason is that I think cooking the noodles in the soup helps them soak up all the lovely Italian flavors in the broth as they cook. So delicious!
The one downside of adding the noodles to the pot is that if you have any leftovers, the pasta continues to absorb liquid, and the noodles can turn very soft the next day.
It doesn’t bother me enough that I think it’s worth the extra trouble to cook them separately, but you can of course do that if you prefer.
To skip my tips and tricks and just see the printable recipe card, simply scroll to the bottom of the post.
HOW TO MAKE LASAGNA SOUP
- Italian sausage (pork sausage can also be used in a pinch)
- red pepper flakes
- tomato sauce
- canned diced tomatoes
- bay leaves
- low sodium chicken broth (I make my own with chicken soup base and water.)
- dried basil
- salt and pepper
- lasagna noodles (You can substitute another type of noodles if you prefer. I’ve used rotini pasta with great results.)
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese (I’ve only used fresh parmesan cheese, not the canned variety.)
- cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese if you prefer)
- dried basil (or fresh if you have it)
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, this soup really is quick and easy to make!
- Brown and crumble the sausage with the onion in a soup pot over medium or medium hot heat. Drain off any fat.
- Add remaining soup ingredients (except the noodles). Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broken up lasagna noodles and continue to simmer till noodles are tender – about 11 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl and stir till well mixed.
- Serve soup hot with a scoop of the cheese topping and additional mozzarella cheese if desired.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER SOUP:
Store any leftover soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 day.
If you want to freeze the soup, I recommend freezing it before you add the noodles, as they tend to turn to mush and fall apart when frozen. When you are ready to serve it, heat it up, add the noodles, and cook until they are tender.
To eat some now and freeze the rest, scoop out the soup that you will be freezing before you add the noodles. Add as many noodles as you want to the pot, and cook as directed above. Freeze the rest and and add the noodles after you thaw the soup.
Can I make lasagne soup in the slow cooker?
Yes, absolutely! To make it in the crock pot, brown the meat and onions as directed. Add remaining ingredients except for the noodles. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Add noodles when there is about 20-30 minutes of cooking time left.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LASAGNA SOUP:
MORE TASTY SOUP RECIPES:
- Taco Soup
- Broccoli Ham Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Tortellini Soup
- Nacho Soup
- Mexican Corn Soup
LASAGNA SOUP RECIPE
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 2 Tbsp mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/8 tsp dry basil
- mozzarella cheese, fresh basil or parsley, parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage and onions in a large soup pot; drain fat.
- Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, broth, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook another 10-12 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- While soup is cooking, combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Stir till well blended.
- Serve bowls of hot soup with a scoop of the cheese mixture. Add garnishes if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1455mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 19g
In the mood for lasagna but don’t have the time or energy for all that layering? Give this one pot lasagna soup a try instead!