Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder – this thick and creamy soup is loaded with chicken and corn, and has just the right amount of kick to it!
My family loves a good hearty soup, especially served with homemade bread or rolls. Have you tried my Taco Soup or Easy Loaded Nacho Soup? They both have a Mexican flair, but aren’t too spicy for the kiddos.
My husband loves this soup; it’s similar to a canned soup he used to eat in college. It has a few convenience ingredients in it, but it’s still homemade, so I like it better than the store bought version.
I made it for him a few nights ago hoping that it would offset the fact that BYU was getting killed by TCU. I don’t think it helped much, but a girl has to try.
The thing I love about this this soup (aside from the fact that it’s tasty), is that it is super easy to make. Besides cooking chicken and chopping an onion, everything is just dumped in the pot.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- onion (I use regular yellow onions)
- garlic cloves (fresh is best, but you can use dry minced garlic instead)
- olive oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
- chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon Chicken Base. It is so much more flavorful than dried chicken bouillon.)
- water (you can substitute a cup of chicken broth for the water and bouillon if desired)
- dried ground cumin
- milk (or half and half if you prefer a more rich soup)
- cream of chicken soup
- pepper jack cheese
- canned cream style corn (adds to the flavor and creaminess of the soup)
- frozen corn
- canned diced green chilies
- hot pepper sauce (you could use red pepper flakes instead)
- ground black pepper
Brown chicken, onion, and garlic in oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add water, bouillon, and cumin. Boil for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat till cheese melts.
That’s it! This soup is seriously so easy to whip up, it’s a great recipe for busy nights.
What to serve with this soup:
– I served this with homemade pretzels and everyone scarfed it down.
-Since it is thick and creamy, this is a perfect soup to serve in Bread Bowls.
-You can’t go wrong with these amazing White Rolls.
–Cornbread is a quick and easy alternative to yeast bread recipes, and pairs well with this spicy soup.
-If you’re really in a hurry, you can just serve it with tortilla chips on top.
- If you like your food with a little more kick, you can add an extra can of green chilies. I actually prefer it that way, but I have to tone it down for my kiddos. You can also add more hot pepper sauce, or stir in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- For a more mild soup, replace the pepper jack cheese with monterey jack cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- To make this soup even faster, use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cubing and cooking fresh chicken breasts. Just cook the onion in oil for 3-4 minutes until it’s tender, then add the chicken and make the rest of the recipe as directed.
- For an even richer and creamier soup, use half and half or heavy cream in place of the milk.
MORE TASTY SOUP RECIPES:
- MEXICAN CHICKEN CHILI
- CREAMY CHICKEN BACON RANCH SOUP
- EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADA CHILI
- CORN AND CRAB CHOWDER
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
For a more mild soup, you can use Monterey Jack or Mozzarella in place of the pepper jack cheese. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g
For a more mild soup, you can use Monterey Jack or Mozzarella in place of the pepper jack cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.