If you love soup, you must try this easy Bread Bowl Recipe! They are so soft and delicious, and perfect filled with hearty soup or chowder.
Cooler weather is upon us, and at my house that means soup, and lots of it! I usually serve soup with homemade rolls, but it is fun to serve it in bread bowls on occasion. If you’ve never made homemade bread bowls before, you should really give it a try. They are delicious, and this recipe is super easy!
Bread bowls work best with thick creamy soups like Bacon Corn Chowder and Cheese Soup. The thin broth based soups tend to make the bread bowls soggy. And no one likes soggy bread! Well except the weirdos that like bread and milk. (Sorry dad, but it’s just gross. I love you anyway though.)
We also love using these homemade bread bowls for Chicken Cordon Bleu Bread Bowls. So yummy!
Here are a few of our favorite soups to serve in bread bowls:
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Salmon Potato Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Chicken Bacon Soup
- Cheese Soup
- Wild Rice Ham Soup
- Smoky Corn Chowder
Easy Bread Bowl Recipe
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast (I use SAF yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 7 cups *flour (approximately)
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. (I use my Bosch.) Add salt, oil, and half the flour. Beat till smooth.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. You may need more or less flour. Knead for about 3 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 or 8 clumps. Shape each portion into a round ball shape. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets that have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. If desired, gently slash the tops of the bread bowls with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15-18 minutes or till lightly browned.
- I used 3 cups of freshly ground wheat flour in my bread bowls, but you can use all white flour if you prefer.
-Recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 4gSugar: 0gProtein: 12g