If you love the flavors of peanut butter and banana, you’ve got to give this peanut butter banana bread recipe a try! It’s perfectly moist and sweet, and a smattering of chocolate chips makes it even more tasty!
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a regular loaf of banana bread, but at my house peanut butter makes just about anything better. I tweaked my recipe for buttermilk banana bread and added some peanut butter and chocolate chips.
We were all thrilled with the results. In fact, one of my sons who doesn’t like regular banana bread loved this version!
HOW TO MAKE BANANA PEANUT BUTTER BREAD
- PREP: Line a 9×5″ loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: In a small bow, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set side.
- WET INGREDIENTS: Mash ripe bananas. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, peanut butter, eggs, buttermilk, mashed banana, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- BLEND: Lightly stir in dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread until even.
- BAKE: Bake at 325° for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- COOL: Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
HOW TO STORE BANANA BREAD
You can store leftover banana bread at room temperature for 3-5 days in an airtight container. It will actually be more moist and flavorful the second day. I like to add paper towel to the container so the bread doesn’t get soggy.
If you need to store the bread long term, you can freeze it for 3-4 months. Double wrap it in plastic wrap or place it in a heavy duty ziplock bag. Thaw at room temperature.
Should I use creamy or crunchy peanut butter? I used creamy peanut butter. If you use crunchy peanut butter, add a couple extra tablespoons.
For baked goods, regular peanut butter like Jif and Skippy work the best. Natural peanut butter doesn’t yield the same results.
Do I have to use brown bananas? Yes, you want to use overripe bananas that are completely covered in brown spots. I have even used bananas that are almost black.
If you use yellow bananas, your bread will not be sweet and flavorful, and it will also not be as moist.
- Instead of using chocolate chips, try peanut butter baking chips. Or for an extra decadent treat, stir in some chopped peanut butter cups.
- Add some chopped peanuts or pecans with the chocolate chips.
- Before baking, drizzle some peanut butter over the top of the batter and swirl it in.
- For an even more rich flavor, use half brown sugar.
- Really love chocolate? Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking.
Really love peanut butter? Try slathering a warm slice of banana peanut butter bread with some creamy peanut butter. It melts down into the bread and adds a new level of deliciousness!
MORE BANANA BREAD RECIPES:
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Raspberry Banana Bread
- Banana Sour Cream Muffins
- Loaded Banana Bread
RECIPES FOR PEANUT BUTTER LOVERS:
- Peanut Butter Cookies with Hershey Kiss
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Pie
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BREAD
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bow, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set side.
- Mash bananas. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, peanut butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, mashed banana, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Lightly stir in dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread until even.
- Bake at 325° for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 7g