A healthy dose of buttermilk makes this Buttermilk Banana Bread extra moist, and gives it a very mild tang. If you’ve never tried banana bread made with buttermilk before, you are in for a treat!
It only takes about 15 minutes to whip up this bread, and the hardest part is just waiting for it to bake. Buttery, soft, and fluffy, it practically melts in your mouth!
We love banana bread in all of its forms at our house, so I’m fine with another excuse to bake up some banana bread! Who doesn’t love a slice fresh and warm from the oven? So yummy for breakfast, or brunch, or lunch, or an afternoon snack. . .
How do you make banana bread?
- PREP WORK: Spray 6 mini loaf pans or 2 large loaf pans with Baker’s Joy (or non stick cooking spray). Melt the butter. Mash the bananas. Preheat oven to 350°.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- WET INGREDIENTS: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, butter, buttermilk, and bananas. Gently stir in the dry ingredients just till mixture is barely combined. Overmixing leads to tough banana bread.
- BAKE: Pour batter into prepared pans.
HOW LONG TO BAKE BANANA BREAD?
If you are using 6 mini loaf pans (mine are 5 3/4″ x 3 1/4″), you will need to bake the loaves for about 30- 35 minutes. They will have light golden brown crust. Mine were barely done, it’s fine if they are more brown.
Large loaf pans (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″), will need to bake for 50-60 minutes. Larger loaves will have darker crust, because it takes longer for the center to fully cook.
Ovens vary, and different types of bread pans bake differently, so use a toothpick to see of your bread is done. If you insert it in the middle of the loaf, it should come out clean.
Let loaves cool in the pan for 5- 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire cooling racks to cool completely.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD MOIST:
- Make sure you are using plenty of bananas. You want at least one large banana for every cup of flour, but more is better. This recipe has 4 bananas to the 3 cups of flour. And of course you want your bananas to be very ripe; firm bananas will give you a dry bread that isn’t as sweet.
- Fat makes baked goods nice and moist. Butter adds better flavor, but breads with oil are usually more moist because oil is liquid at room temperature. This recipe uses butter, but trust me, the bread is very moist.
- Use buttermilk. Buttermilk, sour cream, and yogurt are great ways to keep banana bread (and other baked goods) from drying out.
- Don’t overbake! No matter what ingredients you add, if you over bake your bread, it will be dry. I like using mini loaf pans because the middle can finish baking before the edges are dark.
- We also love this bread with nuts. Add a cup of chopped pecans, walnuts, or your favorite nuts. For best flavor, toast the nuts first.
- Stir in a cup or two of chocolate chips with the dry ingredients. (This is my kids’ favorite option!)
- Add any type of dried fruit. I think craisins, dried pineapple, or coconut would be especially tasty.
RECIPES WITH BANANAS:
MORE QUICK BREAD RECIPES:
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin Coconut Bread
- Zucchini Pear Bread
- Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Sweet Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- Pina Colada Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese
EASY MOIST BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- Whisk together flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, butter, buttermilk, and bananas. Stir in dry ingredients till just moistened.
- Pour into 6 or 7 *small loaf pans that have been sprayed with Baker's Joy or spread with shortening and dusted with flour.
- Bake at 350° for about 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pans 5-8 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
My loaf pans are 5 3/4" by 3"
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g