Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies – Toasting the coconut takes these cookies up a notch. They are chewy in the middle, crisp on the edges, and have a perfect balance of coconut and chocolate. You’ll love them!
I have always liked coconut in baked goods. But toasted coconut? I love that stuff. I could eat it by the spoonful. Something magical happens when you cook coconut for a few minutes.
It is just so yummy that I can’t resist it. It was only a matter of time before it made its way into one of my cookie recipes. Sneaky little devil. 😉
I have another recipe for coconut cookies that are soft and chewy. These cookies have a more rich flavor, and the edges are more crispy. I love them both, and it would be hard to pick a favorite.
Tips for making coconut oil chocolate chip cookies:
-To toast shredded coconut, place it in a single layer in a pie dish or 9×13″ pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, till coconut is golden brown. You can also brown it by stirring it over medium heat in a non-stick skillet, but I prefer the oven method.
-I know that some of you will probably ask if you can use something else instead of the coconut oil. You can use butter instead, but it will change the texture of the cookies. Plus the coconut oil gives the cookies a little extra coconut flavor. Coconut oil is also good for you, so I really recommend that you just get some!
-We like these cookies best with half milk chocolate and half semi sweet chocolate, but you can use whatever you prefer. A few readers have tried them with white chocolate chips and loved them.
Click HERE to save this recipe to Pinterest!
Handy supplies for making these coconut chocolate chip cookies:
–Coconut oil gives these cookies both great flavor and texture, so for best results, don’t use substitutes.
-You can use a stand mixer, but I prefer using this hand mixer for all my cookies. After beating, I stir in the dry ingredients so I don’t over-mix my dough and end up with tough cookies.
Silicone Pan Liners – these babies are my best friend in the kitchen. Nothing sticks to them! I have several different brands, and they all work great.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE RECIPES FEATURING COCONUT:
- Coconut Macaroon Brownies
- Almond Joy Cheesecake
- Chocolate Coconut Sweet Rolls
- Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
MORE TASTY SIMPLE COOKIES:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- St. Patrick’s Day Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Green Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp coconut flavoring
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Spread coconut in a pie plate or cake pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes, stirring often and watching very closely. Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter, coconut oil, and sugars in a large mixing bowl till creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and coconut flavoring.
- Whisk together the flour, soda, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture with the coconut and chocolate chips just till everything is combined well.
- Drop by spoonfuls on to silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g