This homemade bbq chicken pizza recipe is so packed with flavor that you may just want save your money and ditch delivery! Loaded with tender chicken, bacon, tangy barbecue sauce, and stringy melted mozzarella cheese, it will fly off the pan!
If you’ve never made homemade pizza before, don’t worry, it really is easy. I’m sharing a recipe for simple pizza crust, but you can use refrigerated or even frozen dough if you are really in a rush.
Making pizza at home isn’t only economical, it’s also fun! It’s a great way to get your kids involved with the cooking. My kids love helping roll out the dough, and of course sprinkling on the toppings.
To make things extra fun, you can make mini pizzas and have everyone add their own toppings. It’s a perfect kitchen activity for family fun night, or even for birthday parties and sleepovers. Mini pizzas do cook faster, so watch them closely!
I like to keep pre cooked chicken in the freezer for quick dinners like this, but you can also use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. Makes dinner prep a breeze!
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
- PREPARE CRUST: Stir together yeast, sugar, and warm water in a large bowl. Add the salt, oil, and enough flour to make soft dough that isn’t sticky. Knead a few times on a floured counter till dough is smooth. Return dough to the bowl and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- PREBAKE: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. While oven is heating, divide the dough in half. Roll or press each dough ball into a circle on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (or use a pizza stone) Poke holes in crust with a fork, then bake for 5 minutes.
- ADD TOPPINGS: Remove crusts from oven and spread with barbeque sauce. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella, then add the cooked chicken and bacon bits.
- BAKE: Return pizza to the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
PRO TIPS FOR THE BEST BARBECUE CHICKEN PIZZA:
- Canned pizza dough may be a timesaver, but homemade pizza dough really does taste better! In a pinch, I’d use frozen dough (thawed of course) over canned.
- Freshly grated mozzarella cheese is definitely best for pizza. Pre-shredded cheese is coated to prevent it from clumping together, so it doesn’t melt up nice and stringy.
- Every barbeque sauce has a different flavor, so make sure you use one that you love. It can be store bought or homemade, just make sure you love it or you won’t love your pizza!
- Pre-baking your crust a little ensures that it is nice and crispy on the bottom. If you skip that step, you may end up with pizza that is soft or soggy in the middle.
Store any leftover pizza in an airtight container in the fridge, or wrap it up in foil. It will last for up to 3-4 days.
TO REHEAT LEFTOVER PIZZA:
- OVEN – Place pizza on a baking sheet and place in a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 300 or 350 degrees. When the oven is preheated, your pizza will be ready.
- SKILLET – Heat a non stick skillet to medium heat. Add your slice of pizza and heat till the bottom is crispy. Add a few drops of water to the edge of the pan (don’t let it touch the crust). Cover and cook till the cheese is melted.
- MICROWAVE – I don’t recommend this method because it results in rubbery crust, but in a pinch you can reheat it for 30-60 seconds in the microwave.
- AIR FRYER – If you have an air fryer, it is great for reheating pizza! I like to line the basket with foil, then place the slices on top. It only takes 3-5 minutes to reheat the slices.
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA VARIATIONS:
- Instead of using all mozzarella, you can use half smoked gouda, cheddar, or any other type of cheese.
- I like garnishing my slices of barbeque pizza with green onions, but you can add red onions with the other toppings before you bake it.
- To add extra zip, add some sliced jalapeno peppers.
- If you like pineapple on pizza, it adds a fun sweetness that pairs well with the tangy bbq sauce.
- For extra bbq flavor, toss your cooked chicken in some barbeque sauce before adding it to your pizza.
- Garnish your pizza with fresh cilantro or green onions.
- Serve it with ranch dressing on the side for dipping, or drizzle it with some ranch after it comes out of the oven. (My youngest loves dipping hers in ranch!)
- This recipe makes two pizzas. You can cut it in half, or you can use half of the dough to make breadsticks.
MORE TASTY PIZZA RECIPES:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza
- Mini Pizza
- Mashed Potato Pizza
- Taco Pizza Recipe
- Cinnamon Dessert Pizza
- Apple Pie Pizza
- Nutella Pizza
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PIZZA:
- A simple green salad with ranch dressing is always a great side.
- Roasted parmesan asparagus is easy to whip up and adds some healthy vitamins and minerals.
- My family loves these garlic rolls.
★ FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR MORE TASTY RECIPES.
BARBEQUE CHICKEN PIZZA RECIPE
- 2 1/4 tsp SAF instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups flour (approximately)
- 1 large chicken breast (or 2 small)
- 2/3 cup barbeque sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon (about 4 slices)
- Mix yeast, sugar, and water in a large bowl.
- 2. Add salt, olive oil, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead a few times just till smooth. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 °.
- Divide dough in half. Roll or press each piece of dough into a 11-12" circle on pans that have been greased. I like to sprinkle the pans with cornmeal, but that is totally optional.
- Poke holes in crust with a fork. Bake for about 5 minutes.
- Remove pizza crusts from oven. Spread with bbq sauce, then sprinkle on the cheese, chicken, and bacon.
- Bake at 475° for about 8-10 more minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 21g