This Homemade Ranch Dip is so easy to make, and just perfect for dipping all those colorful veggies! It calls for simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, and you can adjust the seasonings to your taste.
A HEALTHIER VERSION OF RANCH DIP
Ranch is pretty magical at my house. If we have ranch dip readily available, my kids will actually consume bushels of fresh veggies- without even being coerced. It’s a great thing!
For years, I bought the packets of dry hidden valley ranch, and they made a really tasty dip. But they are filled with preservatives and MSG, so I wanted to come up with a healthier option.
This ranch dip recipe is made with all fresh ingredients, so I feel better about feeding it to my family. Another bonus is that you can adjust the herbs and spices to your family’s taste.
I’ve been making ranch vegetable dip from scratch for over a decade, and it’s so easy that even my kids know how to make ranch dip. Not only is it great for after school snacks, it is always a hit at BBQ’s and parties!
If you’d rather skip my helpful tips and tricks, and get straight to this delicious easy Ranch Dip recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
HOW DO YOU MAKE RANCH DIP FROM SCRATCH?
Few recipes are as easy as this one. All you have to do is whisk the ingredients together and then chill it. Easy peasy! I recommend letting it chill for several hours for the best flavor.
- sour cream (Full fat gives the best flavor, but light sour cream also works fine.)
- mayonnaise (I do not recommend using light mayo, you want the full fat version. I like Best Foods, AKA Hellman’s brand.)
- dry minced onion (Granulated onion or onion powder can be used instead, but you will need less.)
- garlic powder
- dry dill (This adds great flavor, but you can use less if you prefer.)
- dry parsley
- seasoning salt (I used to just use kosher salt, but seasoning salt adds a nice depth of flavor. I use Lawry’s brand.)
- black pepper
We love using this dip for fresh vegetables, but if you want to indulge, it also makes perfect ranch chip dip. I love it with Ruffles potato chips. So good!
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE RANCH DIP LAST?
This ranch veggie dip will last for up to two weeks in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
CAN I USE FRESH HERBS INSTEAD?
If you are lucky enough to have fresh herbs on hand, yes, you can absolutely use them in place of the dry herbs. In most cases, you will need to double the amount called for in the recipe.
- For a tangier ranch dip, you can add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice.
- To cut calories, you can use light or fat free mayonnaise and plain or greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. Like most low fat versions, it will definitely not taste as good as the original.
- If you want to get fancy, you can stir in some grated cheddar cheese and bacon bits.
MORE HOMEMADE DIP RECIPES:
- Sausage Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Creamy Spinach Dip
- Bacon Cheese Dip
- Corn Dip Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Dip
- Best Fruit Dip
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Dip
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Almond Joy Dip
- Strawberry Dip
- Toffee Apple Dip
HOMEMADE RANCH DIP
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g