This tasty Potato Chip Chicken is crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside – just like fried chicken, but you just make it in your oven! Crushed potato chips make a crispy, flavorful coating that everyone loves.
My mom used to make this classic crispy chicken when I was growing up, and my five siblings and I all loved it. I’ve been making it for my family for years, and it always makes for smiling faces around the table!
REASONS WE LOVE THIS POTATO CHIP “FRIED” CHICKEN:
- It calls for simple ingredients that you probably always have on hand.
- Potato chips add perfect flavor and crunchiness.
- You can get the flavor and texture of fried chicken, no frying required!
- It’s a perfect way to use up the tiny potato chip pieces at the bottom of the bag.
- You can change up the flavor of the chicken just by using different varieties of potato chips.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO CHIP CRUSTED CHICKEN
- PREP WORK – Melt the butter in a shallow dish. I like to use a glass dish so I can just melt it in the microwave. Crush the potato chips and combine them with the garlic powder, pepper, and parsley in another shallow dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- COAT CHICKEN – Dip the chicken breasts into the melted butter, then the potato chip mixture.
- PLACE ON PAN – For crispiest chicken, line a baking sheet with foil, then place a wire rack on top. Spray with non stick spray, then place the chicken on the wire rack. Press remaining potato chips on top, then drizzle with any leftover butter.
- BAKE – Bake chicken at 375° for about 45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°. (Not sure what temperature to cook your meat? Print off my handy meat temperature chart!
- In place of the melted butter, you can dip the chicken in mayonnaise or Miracle Whip.
- Instead of regular potato chips, you can use any flavor. Sour cream & onion and BBQ potato chips are tasty.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips and make potato chip chicken tenders. They will only need to bake for 18-20 minutes. You may need extra butter and potato chips.
- For a bit of a kick, add some cayenne pepper to the potato chip mixture.
- Want extra crispy chicken? You can broil it for a couple of minutes after it is finished baking. Just watch it closely, it burns quickly.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH POTATO CHIP CRUSTED CHICKEN:
- Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
- Sweet Carrots
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Spinach Salad with Strawberry Dressing
- Garlic Rolls
MORE CHICKEN DINNER IDEAS:
- Salsa Chicken
- Paprika Chicken Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Pasta Salad with Grapes
- Hawaiian Haystacks Recipe
- Recipe for Chicken Broccoli Casserole
POTATO CHIP CHICKEN RECIPE
- 5 oz potato chips, crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
- Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine crushed chips, garlic powder, pepper, and parsley in a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in melted butter, then in potato chip mixture.
- Place on a foil lined greased cookie sheet. (For chicken that is crispy on the bottom, place a cooling rack inside your pan on top of the foil. The air can circulate underneath, and the chicken comes out crispier!)
- Press any remaining chips on top of chicken, and drizzle with remaining butter.
- Bake at 375° for 40-50 minutes or till chicken juices run clear and internal temperature is 165°.
The original recipe called for an additional 1/4 cup melted butter that you drizzle over the top of the chicken before baking. I omit that step to lower the fat a little. But you can add it if you want.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 40g