Rolo Cookies . . . no one can resist these soft chocolate cookies with an ooey gooey caramel center. They are simply divine!
I love a good bargain, so always stock up on the after Christmas candy sales. Not because I want to eat the candy, but because I love baking with it! Reese’s peanut butter cups, M&M’s and Rolos are three of my favorite candies to bake with.
I have to hide my stash in my craft room so my family won’t find it and finish it off before I have a chance to try out all my recipes. I make sure it’s hidden from my view too, so I won’t be tempted. 😉
A PERFECT COOKIE FOR CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL FANS
These caramel filled Rolo cookies have been a favorite for years. They may look plain on the outside, but the inside is filled with ooey gooey caramel. So yummy!
Sugar on the top is optional, but it makes them so pretty and sparkly. I usually just dips the tops of the cookie dough balls in sugar, but you can roll the whole cookie dough ball in sugar if you prefer. It just takes a little extra sugar.
If you like chocolate and caramel, you’ve gotta give these chocolate caramel cookies a try!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE ROLO COOKIES
(To skip my tips and just see the full recipe, scroll to the very bottom of the post.)
- butter, softened to room temperature (I always use salted butter in my recipes. It’s best to let it come to room temperature on the counter, the microwave sometimes causes uneven hot and cold spots.)
- granulated sugar (regular table sugar)
- brown sugar (I usually use light brown sugar, but dark is fine too.)
- eggs (I use large eggs in all of my recipes.)
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour (I like to use unbleached flour, but that’s just a matter of preference.)
- unsweetened cocoa powder (I use regular Hershey’s cocoa powder.)
- baking soda
- baking powder
- Rolo chocolate caramel candies
TIPS AND INSTRUCTIONS
PREP WORK: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a couple baking pans with silicone liners or parchment paper, or spray with non stick spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of sugar into a bowl. Unwrap the rolo candies.
CREAM: Beat the softened butter and sugars with a hand mixer in a large bowl till creamy. It’s important that the butter is soft enough that it doesn’t have lumps, but not melted.
WET INGREDIENTS: Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
DRY INGREDIENTS: Either sift or whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl. Stir them into the wet ingredients. I like to use a large bamboo spatula or wooden spoon. I think you get better results stirring in the dry ingredients instead of using a mixer. The mixer tends to over mix the dough, and the cookies aren’t as light.
FORM COOKIES: Take about a tablespoon of dough and wrap it around a Rolo. Make sure the dough is well sealed, you don’t want the melted caramel leaking out. Dip the top of the cookie in sugar and place it sugared side up on a prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
BAKE: After you have 12 cookie dough balls on the baking sheet, bake the cookies at 350° for about 9 minutes.
COOL: Let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes, then remove them to cooling racks to cool completely.
ENJOY! Of course these cookies are amazing when they are warm and the caramel is oozing out, but they are still mighty tasty after they have cooled. I think it’s best to enjoy a warm cookie with a tall glass of milk. 🙂
HOW TO STORE ROLO COOKIES
If stored in an airtight container, these cookies will last at room temperature for 4-5 days. They also freeze well. Just place them in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags after they have cooled completely. In the freezer, they will last for 3-4 months.
To serve frozen cookies, either let them thaw at room temperature, or heat them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Be careful, because the caramel can get hot pretty quickly.
MORE MADE FROM SCRATCH COOKIES:
- Brown Sugar Shortbread
- Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Cookie Cups (with peanut butter mousse)
- Italian Cookies
- Cherry Shortbread Cookies
- Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
Rolo Cookies (Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies)
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 42 Rolos chocolate caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup sugar for tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and stir in until well mixed.
- Shape about 1 tablespoon of dough around each rolo. Dip tops of cookie in sugar. Place sugar side up on silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for about 9 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
See all my COOKIE RECIPES.