These S’mores Bars combine graham crackers marshmallows and chocolate into an ooey gooey oven baked treat that is hard to resist! Every bite of these bars is oozing with flavor!
If you are longing for the deliciousness of campfire s’mores, but snow is falling outside, you can still enjoy a piece of summer right this very afternoon. Whip up this smores bar recipe in just minutes, and bring back those campfire memories.
As a bonus, you don’t even need a campfire, so there will be no stinky smoky clothes to wash afterwards. Hooray!
A PERFECT SMORES DESSERT!
I pinned this recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. One of my boys happened to see it and asked “Mom, can we please, please, please make those?!?” So of course I had to oblige.
To tell the absolute truth, I was not sure I would like them very much. I’m not a big fan of marshmallows.
But oh my heck, these are amazing!! Like ten times better than actual smores. The graham crackers add such great flavor and texture to the crumb crust, and the chocolate marshmallow center is gooey and delicious.
I used half milk and half semi sweet chips, and I loved the balance. The milk chocolate chips make it taste like a real s’more, but the semi sweet chips add that gooey melted chocolate factor. So good! You have got to try these!
HOW TO MAKE S’MORES BARS
- For the cookie base, you will need: salted butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, all purpose flour, graham crackers (or store bought crumbs), baking powder, and salt.
- The filling consists of marshmallow creme and chocolate. I recommend using both milk chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips for best flavor and texture.
- PREP WORK: Crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Line a 9×13″ pan with foil or parchment and spray with non stick spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- COOKIE BASE: Your graham cracker cookie base is made just like most cookie recipes, you are just using graham cracker crumbs in place of some of the flour.
- LAYER THE BARS: Press half of your dough into the prepared pan, then use a wet spoon to spread marshmallow creme over the top. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Drop remaining dough as evenly over the top as you can. It’s fine if some filling is peeking through.
- BAKE: Cook the bars for about 30 minutes, or just until they are golden brown on top. You don’t want to overbake them or they will be dry.
- COOL & SERVE: For easiest cutting it is best to let the bars cool for several hours. But to be honest, we like them warm. Not as pretty, but oh so good!
S’MORES BARS PRO TIPS:
- Mini marshmallows don’t work as well as marshmallow creme (marshmallow fluff)! They tend to either harden up, or dissolve into the bars. For the best ooey gooey marshmallow layer, it is worth the extra effort to spread the marshmallow creme.
- For the top layer, flatten the pieces of dough with your hands before placing them over the chocolate and marshmallow.
- Milk chocolate adds the true s’more flavor, and semi sweet chocolate adds ooey gooey melted chocolatey goodness. These bars really are best with both.
- The marshmallow creme tends to stick to the sides of the pan, so I highly recommend lining the pan with foil or parchment paper. It also makes it easier to cut the bars because you can lift them out and cut them on a cutting board.
- To cut the bars, I find it helpful to rinse the knife in hot water (then wipe it dry) before making each cut. Having a clean and hot knife makes for smoother edges.
HOW TO STORE S’MORES BARS
If you have any leftover bars, wrap them tightly or place them in an airtight container and they will last at room temperature for up to a week.
I haven’t frozen them personally, but other readers have. Double wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in freezer ziplock bags. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature.
MORE SMORES DESSERT RECIPES:
DESSERT BARS RECIPES:
- Almond Toffee Bars
- Pistachio Bars
- Churro Cheesecake Bars
- Mixed Nut Bars
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Dutch Cookies
- Maraschino Cherry Bars
- Butterscotch Bars
RECIPE FOR S’MORES BARS
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Beat butter and brown sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Stir in flour, crumbs, baking powder, and salt.
- Press half in a well greased 9x13" pan that has been lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Use the back of a wet spoon to spread the marshmallow creme over the crust.
- Sprinkle chips over the marshmallow layer.
- Flatten pieces of the remaining dough between your hands and place them evenly over the chocolate. It's totally fine if some of the filling is showing.
- Bake at 350° for 30-32 minutes.
-2 cups graham crumbs is 14 whole crackers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
(originally posted Feb 20, 2012, updated January 2021)
If you love melted chocolate and marshmallows, an indulgent Smores Bar is the perfect treat! We love them best served warm, even if they are a little messy.