Saturday was a gloriously warm day around these parts. My boys played outside wearing only light jackets. Except one of them who is totally impervious to temperature and wore shorts and a t-shirt. But that’s beside the point. The point is that for winter, it was warm around here. Warm enough to spray paint. Which I did. 🙂
Then Sunday came along and reminded us that we are still in the dead of winter. Seven inches of snow. Argg. Spring is nowhere in sight, and summer seems ages away. Are you still enduring frigid temperatures where you live? If you are, you can still enjoy a piece of summer right this very afternoon. Smores! And you don’t even need a campfire, so there will be no stinky smoky clothes to wash afterwards. Hooray!
I pinned this recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. One of my boys happened to see it and asked “Mom, can we please, please, please make those?!?” So of course I had to oblige. To tell the absolute truth, I was not sure I would like them very much. I’m not a big fan of marshmallows.
But oh my heck, these are amazing!! Like ten times better than actual smores. The graham crackers add such great flavor and texture to the crumb crust, and the chocolate marshmallow center is gooey and delicious.
I used half milk and half semi sweet chips, and I loved the balance. The milk chocolate chips make it taste like a real s’more, but the semi sweet chips add that gooey melted chocolate factor. So good! You have got to try these!
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Beat butter and brown sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Stir in flour, crumbs, baking powder, and salt.
- Press half in a well greased 9x13" pan that has been lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Use the back of a wet spoon to spread the marshmallow creme over the crust.
- Sprinkle chips over the marshmallow layer.
- Drop the remaining dough over the top in small spoonfuls. It's totally fine if the filling is showing.
- Bake at 350° for 30-32 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g