Filled with graham crackers and chocolate chips, and topped with toasted marshmallows and chocolate, this smores cookie recipe is sure to become a new favorite. And the best part is that you can make them any time of year!
Skip the mess of a campfire and enjoy all the flavors of the favorite summer treat right from the comfort of your own kitchen!
OUR FAVORITE SMORES COOKIE RECIPE
I tried several versions of s’mores chocolate chip cookies before finding the one that my family declared to be the winner. I tried some with marshmallow fluff, some with broken graham crackers, some with mini marshmallows, and even one with browned butter.
After years of trying all types of variations, I finally found a winner. We think this smore cookie recipe can’t be beat!
WHY THIS SMORES COOKIES RECIPE IS THE BEST
- A scrumptious brown sugar graham cracker cookie dough makes an extra tasty base for the chocolate and marshmallows. I dare you not to eat a spoonful, it is sooo good!
- The dough has both milk chocolate chips for sweetness, and semi sweet chocolate chips for depth of flavor and ooey gooey meltability.
- Broiling the marshmallows on top of the cookies gives them the perfect flavor of toasted marshmallows.
- You can’t have a s’more without a chocolate bar, so these cookies have one melted on top of the marshmallow. The incredible classic s’more flavor that everyone loves!
How do you make smores cookies from scratch?
- PREP WORK: Crush the graham crackers. (I like to use my food processor.) Unwrap the Hershey bars and break them into 12 rectangles. Cut each of the large marshmallows in half so that you have two circles. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Make traditional cookie dough by creaming the butter and sugar, beating in the eggs and vanilla, and stirring in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into balls and place on lightly greased or silicone lined baking pans about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for about 5 minutes, then place a marshmallow, cut side down, in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until marshmallow is melted and cookie is lightly browned around the edges.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil cookies for about a minute, watching closely. As soon as the marshmallows are toasted, remove the pan from the oven.
- Immediately place a square of chocolate on top of each marshmallow.
- Let cookies cool for 2-3 minutes on the pan, then carefully remove to cooling racks.
We definitely think they are best warm while the marshmallows are still gooey. Seriously, beyond delicious!
- It is easier to cut the marshmallows if you use a scissor dipped in hot water.
- Fresh marshmallows melt the best, so I like to use a brand new, unopened bag.
- Watch your cookies VERY closely while you are broiling the marshmallows, they can burn in a matter of seconds! I like to leave the door open a crack so I can see them easily.
HOW LONG DO CHOCOLATE CHIP SMORE COOKIES LAST?
This is definitely one cookie that is best fresh, especially still warm. But they will last for 4-5 days at room temperature if stored in an airtight container. I don’t recommend freezing them because the marshmallows get a little funky.
CAN YOU FREEZE THE DOUGH?
Absolutely! In fact, if you can’t eat them fast enough, I definitely recommend freezing the dough instead of the baked cookies. Just roll the dough into balls, freeze in a single layer on baking sheets, then place in freezer ziplock bags. It will keep for 3-4 months.
When you are ready to bake them, let them thaw completely, then bake as directed above.
LOVE THIS SMORES COOKIE RECIPE? TRY THESE:
MORE COOKIE RECIPES:
- No Bake Cornflake Cookies
- Birds Nest Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut Butter Hershey Kiss Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
SMORES COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (1 1/2- 2 sleeves)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 24 large marshmallows, cut in half
- 4 1.55 ounce Hershey bars, broken
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl for two minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir till just blended.
- Add chocolate chips and stir till mixed in evenly.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased or silpat lined cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes.
- Top each cookie with half a marshmallow, cut side down. Bake for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and turn oven to broil. Broil cookies for about 1 minute, watching carefully so the marshmallows don't burn.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place a chocolate square on top of each cookie. Cool for 2-3 minutes on pan, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g