Dutch Apple Bread – a soft and buttery bread loaded with chunks of fresh apple, and topped with a cinnamon sugar crumble. A perfect fall quick bread recipe!
It is finally cool enough to bake around these parts, and I am loving it. My parents give us zucchini from their garden and apples from their trees every fall. I made this tasty apple bread last year, and it was a huge hit.
Who can resist a quick bread topped with crumbles of cinnamon sugar? Plus you have the chunks of juicy apple peeking out in every slice. It’s buttery, it’s crunchy, its soft, it’s juicy. Yep, you should definitely give this bread a try!
The texture of this bread is very similar to pound cake. I like that it’s dense enough to hold up to the apples in the bread, and the generous topping. It’s soft and tender, but not so fluffy that it falls apart in your hands.
What is dutch apple bread?
Like Dutch apple pie, it has a crumb topping that is usually made with butter, sugar and cinnamon.
What apples are best for apple bread?
Firm, tart apples work best for bread and most baking. I like to use Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, or Fuji apples for this bread. Avoid red delicious apples, they turn mushy when baked.
HOW TO MAKE DUTCH APPLE BREAD
- oil (I use canola or vegetable oil)
- soft butter
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- apples (I used Granny Smith apples)
- chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- brown sugar
Cream oil, butter, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix in the egg, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in chopped apples and nuts. Divide batter between three mini loaf pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. (I like to line the bottoms with parchment paper.)
In a small bowl, combine some butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix with a pastry blender or fork till crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter in the pans. Bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Can I make a large loaf instead?
Absolutely. You can bake the bread in an 8 or 10 inch loaf pan. Prepare the pan as directed, then bake for 55-60 minutes.
HOW TO STORE DUTCH APPLE BREAD
It will last for about 3 days at room temperature if stored in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap. The topping does get softer, but the bread still tastes good.
We thought this bread was plenty sweet as is, but you can add a simple vanilla glaze if you desire. Just whisk together about a half cup of powdered sugar, a tablespoon of melted butter, a splash of cinnamon, and a tablespoon or so of milk. Drizzle it over the bread after it has cooled.
I hope you love this soft and tasty apple bread! If you make it and love it, please leave a 5 star rating. 🙂
TASTY RECIPES FEATURING APPLES
- Pumpkin Apple Muffins
- Apple Snickerdoodle Mini Muffins
- Cinnamon Apple Dutch Baby Pancakes
- Cranberry Apple Crisp
MORE QUICK BREAD RECIPES TO TRY
- Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Snickerdoodle Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Dutch Apple Bread with Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2-2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup diced apple
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 5x3" mini bread pans with non stick cooking spray, and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Peel and dice apples, set aside.
- Cream oil, butter sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg, milk, vanilla. Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder just till moistened. Gently fold in apples and nuts.
- Divide batter between the three pans.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together with a pastry cutter or fork till crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool loaves in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
-You can make a large loaf instead of 3 mini loaves. Prepare an 8 inch loaf pan as directed. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350°.
-Recipe inspired by Butter with a Side of Bread
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 56gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 8g