Crispy Baked Chicken Strips– These chicken strips are baked, not fried, but they are still flavorful and delicious! Ready in under 30 minutes, they are always a family favorite!I came up with this recipe one night when I was planning on making oven baked chicken tenders but realized I was out of eggs.
Since I didn’t have time to run to the store, I simply used ranch dressing instead of eggs. My family loved them so much that I never went back!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE BAKED CHICKEN STRIPS
- Crushed cornflakes make for an extra crispy coating.
- Dipping the chicken in ranch dressing instead of egg adds so much flavor, and keeps them nice and juicy inside.
- They are the perfect size for dipping in any of your favorite sauces.
- Because they are baked instead of fried, they are healthier.
- Not having to clean up after the mess of frying is always a bonus!
Chicken Tenders vs Chicken Strips
It can be confusing, because they look very much the same. But chicken tenders are actually a small muscle under the chicken breast that is usually removed and sold separately. As its name suggests, it is more tender than chicken breast.
However, cutting chicken breasts into strips is just fine for most recipes. And as a bonus, it’s more readily available, and more economical than chicken tenders.
For my chicken strips, I use chicken breasts because I always have them on hand.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN STRIPS
- PREP – Cut the chicken breasts into 1” strips with a sharp serrated knife. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire cooling rack inside a cookie sheet. Spray with non stick cooking spray.
- CRUMBS – Place the cornflakes in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- COATING – Place the dressing in a shallow dish or bowl. In another dish, stir together the crushed cornflakes, flour, salt, and pepper.
- DREDGE -Dip the chicken strips into the ranch dressing, then into the crumb coating. Place on the wire rack at least an inch apart.
- BAKE – Bake the chicken strips at 400° for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.
For this recipe, they are baked at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. You can also try baking them at 450° for 13-14 minutes if you prefer. The most important thing is that you bake them until they are 165 degrees inside.
How to store leftover chicken strips
If you have any chicken leftover, it can be store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.To reheat, place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 400° just for about 5 minutes or until heated through. They can also be reheated in an air fryer. I don’t recommend using the microwave, it makes them soggy.
To make these ahead of time, you can dip the chicken in the ranch and the crunchy coating. Place the chicken strips in a single layer in a baking dish. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
When ready to serve, simply transfer to a cookie sheet lined with a wire cooling rack, and bake as directed.
- Using a wire rack allows air to circulate, ensuring that the chicken strips will be crispy all the way around. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to flip them halfway through
- For extra crispy chicken, you can broil it for 1-2 minutes on each side. Just watch it closely so you don’t burn them!
- I have found that my chicken bakes more evenly if I let it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before baking.
- Use a thermometer to make sure that you remove the chicken as soon as it’s done. If it gets overcooked, it will be dry. I love my Meater smart thermometer – it’s a game changer!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORNFLAKE CHICKEN TENDERS:
MORE CHICKEN BREAST RECIPES
- Chicken Breast Marinade Recipe
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Baked Bruschetta Chicken
- Alice Springs Chicken
- Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Potato Chip Chicken
- Monterey Chicken
BAKED CHICKEN STRIPS RECIPE
- 2 cups cornflakes, finely crushed
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1" strips; set aside. Place the cornflakes in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Place a wire cooling rack on your baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, mix crushed cornflakes, flour, salt, and pepper. Place ranch dressing in another shallow dish.
- Dip chicken strips in ranch dressing, then in cereal mix. Place on the wire rack, at least an inch apart.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until juices run clear and internal temperature is 165°.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
One serving is 2-3 chicken strips, depending on size.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g
These oven baked chicken strips are extra tasty dipped in honey mustard, barbeque sauce or even ranch dressing. I hope they become a new favorite at your house!