This Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole is one of my very favorite low carb meals. If you’re on the lookout for a keto casserole that the whole family will love, you are in the right place!
Ground beef, pickles, cheese, and bacon, in a creamy, hearty casserole. All the flavors of a bacon cheeseburger, but in a keto friendly dish. Trust me, you need to make this recipe!
EPIC LOW CARB CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
I am pretty new to this whole keto diet, so I am constantly trying and tweaking low carb recipes until I find ones that I really, really love. This keto cheeseburger casserole definitely fits the bill. It is so tasty that I will keep making it even after I’m done with low carb life!
At first I thought it was a little strange to add pickles to a hot dish, but boy was I wrong. They add so much flavor, and really do make this dish taste like a cheeseburger. Delish.
The outside edges of the casserole get a little crunchy, but the inside stays nice and creamy. And of course there’s the bacon and cheese on top. You can’t go wrong with bacon and cheese, can you?
It is very filling, and only has 8.6 net carbs per serving. I like to round out the meal with a green salad and some keto ranch dressing, but you can just serve it alongside some shredded lettuce.
I found the recipe for this low carb bacon cheeseburger casserole at Stay Snatched, and tweaked it a bit till it was to my liking. Such a yummy main dish!
HOW TO MAKE BACON CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
You can prepare this in an 8×11″ dish or a 2 quart casserole dish. I’ve tried it both ways, and even though the casserole dish takes longer to bake, I prefer it that way. The inside stays a little creamier, and you end up with a thicker layer of cheese on top.
Of course, if you are in a hurry, baking it in the 8×11″ dish is a great timesaver, and it still tastes amazing!
- Brown your ground beef and onion, drain. Add seasonings, then cream cheese and worcestershire sauce. Once cream cheese is melted, spread mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, mustard, cream, and half of the cheese. Pour over the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle diced pickle over the top, followed by the last cup of shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cheese will be lightly browned around the edges, and the center should be 165°, but a knife will not necessarily come out clean.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING KETO CASSEROLE:
- The onions in this recipe add 2 grams of carb per serving, but I think they add so much flavor that they are worth it. You can use less onion, or omit it if desired. That being said. . . .
- Green onions (scallions), and white onions have the lowest net carbs. Avoid sweet onions and scallions on the keto diet, they have lower fiber as well as sugar, so their net carbs are higher.
- Shredding your own cheese will also save carbs. I learned this simply by reading labels and researching. Pre shredded cheese has potato starch (or other starch) added to prevent clumping. That starch adds a small amount of carbs.
- You can cook your own bacon strips, but as a huge timesaver I like to use the bacon bits from Costco. I just crisp them up a bit in a skillet or the microwave before I use them.
KETO HAMBURGER CASSEROLE VARIATIONS:
- We like this casserole slightly creamy, but if you prefer a thicker, more quiche like casserole, you can use 4 eggs instead of 2.
- Feel free to switch out the cheddar cheese for any type of cheese that you enjoy. You can even use two or more varieties.
- For a spicy version, add some diced jalapenos with (or instead of) the pickles, and use pepper jack cheese.
- Instead of using a dill pickle, you can use chopped sweet pickles or pickle relish.
- Top it with some diced tomato, jalapenos, mushrooms, or avocado.
(Note that any changes will change the nutritional value, and may add additional carbs.)
I’m not on a low carb diet, can I make this keto bacon cheeseburger casserole lower in fat? Absolutely! Just switching the cream cheese to light and using milk in place of the cream will lower the fat grams in each serving from 58 grams to 30 grams. You can make it even lower in fat by using ground chicken, low fat cheese, and turkey bacon.
MORE LOW CARB RECIPES:
- Hamburger and Cabbage Recipe (Tex Mex)
- Sirloin Tip Roast (slow cooker)
- Chicken with Lime
- Best Grilled Pork Chops
- Pork Chops with Onions
- Salmon with Cream Sauce
- Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Sesame Green Beans
- Parmesan Zucchini Bites
KETO BACON CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
Recipe inspired by Stay Snatched. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 769Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 298mgSodium: 1057mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 8.6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 51g
Recipe inspired by Stay Snatched.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.