Candy Cane Peppermint Kiss Cookies– with crushed peppermint candies in the dough and a peppermint kiss on top, these yummy cookies are perfect for Christmas!
PEPPERMINT BUTTER CHRISTMAS COOKIES
If you love butter or shortbread cookies and also happen to love mint, this recipe is perfect for you! These little cookies just melt in your mouth. If you are looking for a more traditional soft and chewy peppermint cookie, give my Chocolate Chip Peppermint Kiss Cookies a try.
My mom and I experimented and came up with these Peppermint Kiss Cookies a few years ago. They have crushed peppermint candies in the dough, and a Hershey Candy Cane Kiss on the top. If you are a fan of peppermint, you will love these cookies!
They are rolled in sugar, so they have a sparkle to them that is so pretty. They are perfect for Christmas cookie trays, or for gift giving. Just make sure that you let them sit for a couple hours before stacking them, or the kisses will melt into pools. Still yummy, but not quite as pretty!
I shared this cookie recipe at Tatertots and Jello a few weeks ago, but wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it! I am a major fan of anything chocolate and mint, so I love coming up with new recipes that use both flavors.
Christmas naturally screams peppermint to me, so I always stock up on the mint kisses that are only available during the holidays. Of course, I don’t save them only for Christmas- I can eat and bake with them all year long!
Why are there no eggs in the cookie dough?
It is not a typo, there are no eggs in these cookies. They are similar to shortbread, so they are light and tender and just melt in your mouth. If you have trouble getting the dough to stick together, just mix it with your hands till it comes together.
Update 12/2020: A few people have had trouble making these cookies, so here are a few tips to help you troubleshoot.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING PEPPERMINT KISS COOKIES:
- You want your butter to be barely soft. It is best to let it come to room temperature on the counter. If it is too soft or has melted spots, your dough will be too soft.
- Make sure you chill your dough or your cookies will spread too much when they bake.
- Line your pans with parchment or use ungreased cookie sheets. Greasing the baking sheets causes the dough to spread.
- After placing your kisses on the hot cookies, let them sit on the pan till set, or very carefully move them to cooling racks. If you jostle the cookies before the kisses are set, the kisses will collapse into pools.
MORE HERSHEY KISS COOKIES:
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Double Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Macaroon Kiss Cookies
- Pistachio Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Blossom Cookies
- Mint Truffle Kiss Cookies
- Hershey Kiss Cookie Cups
Here are a few more chocolate mint recipes to try:
- Mint Cookie Crunch
- Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Brownies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Candy
PEPPERMINT KISS COOKIES
- 1 cup butter, barely softened
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 10 peppermint candies (starlight mints)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- 1 pkg. Candy Cane Hershey kisses
- Place the peppermint candies in a ziplock bag and pound them with a mallet or rolling pin till they are finely crushed, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and peppermint extract. Beat in the crushed peppermint candies.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt, then stir into the butter mixture. Dough will be very stiff, you may need to work it with your hands.
- Cover and chill the dough for 30-60 minutes. Roll in 1” balls, then roll in sugar. Place on parchment lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for about 10-12 minutes. Immediately press a kiss in the middle of each cookie.
- Cool for several minutes on the pan before carefully removing to cooling racks, or let cool completely on the cookie sheet.
-You should end up with about 5 tablespoons of crushed peppermint candy crumbs. You can substitute crushed peppermint candy canes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
If you need a cookie that keeps well, looks beautiful, and melts in your mouth, give these buttery peppermint kiss cookies a try!